We at Sixt Rent a Car Australia recognise the importance of protecting your personal information. The Commonwealth Privacy Act 1988 (Privacy Act) regulates the handling of personal information (for example, name and address details) by Australian private sector organisations. This policy explains how Sixt Rent a Car Australia protects your privacy and summarises how we collect, use and disclose personal information that you might provide us. When you make an application to use our service, you consent to us using and disclosing your personal information consistent with this policy. Please refer to the section in this policy titled "What you consent and agree to".
"Sixt Rent a Car Australia" is the trading name of Simvestments Pty Limited ACN 134 137 027 which is a franchise partner of Sixt GmbH & Co. Autovermietung KG. located in Germany. Sixt is an international vehicle rental company offering car hire in 3500 locations across 90 countries.
What personal information does Sixt Rent a Car Australia collect about me and how does it collect it?
When you rent a vehicle from Sixt Rent a Car Australia, we need to collect certain information from you. The service that you use will determine exactly what information we collect from you. That information may include your:
- contact telephone number(s);
- contact facsimile number(s);
- date of birth;
- driver's licence number;
- frequent traveller program number;
- vehicle preference;
- credit card number and expiry date;
- e-mail address;
- company name and employee number; and
- contact details of individuals who can provide professional references.
In certain circumstances, we may collect sensitive information about you. For example, we may collect information about your membership of a professional association in order to provide you with the correct discount for our services. Sensitive information under the Privacy Act includes information about an individual's membership of a professional or trade association. We will only collect sensitive information about you with your consent or otherwise in accordance with the law. We will also record information about where you collected the vehicle and the date, time and location of its return.
How we collect the information will depend on how you use our services
We may collect information directly from you by telephone, fax, e-mail, over the counter, your completion of an application or enrolment form, or through our Internet based service.We may also collect information about you indirectly though a travel agent, a corporate program or through one of our partner programs. You can choose not to provide some of your personal details but this may prevent us from providing our services to you or limit our ability to provide you with the level of service that you would normally expect from us.
We may send cookies (pieces of programming) to your computer when you visit our site. Cookies can be stored on your hard drive (persistent cookies) or in memory (session cookies). Cookies enable us to enhance the web offerings to you and to optimise your online experience. We will not collect any of your personal information with our cookies.
Persistent cookies identify pages accessed and provide personalised features, for example choosing which page you would like to make your start page. They are used to help us develop the design and layout of the web site, improve applications and measure their effectiveness.
Session cookies are used for security purposes as part of our customer identification process. These cookies allow you to be recognised once you have logged in and provide you with confidential access to your rental records.
We may also allow third parties to collect statistical data from our site using their persistent cookies. However these cookies do not capture information that can personally identify you. They are simply used to measure the effectiveness of our site.
How is my personal information used or disclosed by Sixt Rent a Car Australia?
We strive to ensure a stress-free rental experience and we are dedicated to building a rewarding and lasting relationship with every customer. In order to provide the level of service we believe you expect from us, we may use and disclose your personal information for the following purposes:
We use your personal information to:
- provide the services that you request;
- do all things necessary to administer those services;
- research, develop, manage, protect and improve our services;
- conduct customer satisfaction surveys and inform you of any improvements that we have made to our services; and
- maintain and develop our software and other business systems.
Your personal information may be disclosed to:
- members of the Sixt Rent a Car Group;
- your company or organisation if you use our services under a corporate account;
- one of our program partners if you are a member of their frequent traveller program and you have asked us to send them details of your rental agreement with us;
- our contracted service providers (including our market research company and our mail house);
- credit card providers;
- credit reporting and fraud checking agencies;
- debt collection agencies, in the event of your default in payment of monies owed to us;
- city councils and government or private organisations responsible for the processing or handling of traffic related infringements; driver licensing authorities; and
- government, regulatory and law enforcement agencies, where the disclosure is required or authorised by law.
Use or disclosure for direct marketing
We may use and disclose your personal information to offer you products and services provided by Sixt Rent a Car Australia and other members of the Sixt Rent a Car Group. We may also use (but not disclose) your personal information to offer you products and services provided by companies participating in Sixt Rent a Car partner programs. You can choose not to allow us to use or disclose your personal information for direct marketing purposes by indicating your preference on the rental document or by contacting us (see "Whom can I contact for further information?" below).
Disclosures outside of Australia
When you provide us with your personal information, we will enter your details into the centralised Sixt Rent a Car Group databases. Depending on how you use our services, your personal information may be accessed by Sixt Rent a Car Group personnel. Some of the countries that we operate in have privacy or data protection laws with general application to the private sector, other countries, including the United States, do not.
How does Sixt Rent a Car Australia protect My Information?
We take reasonable steps to protect all of the personal information we hold from misuse and loss and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. This protection applies in relation to information stored in both electronic and hard copy form.
Can I access personal information that Sixt Rent a Car Australia holds about me?
You may access any personal information that we hold about you subject to certain exceptions. We will normally provide access without charge unless you request access to a large volume of information or we have to access our archived records to obtain the information. In these circumstances, we may impose a fee to recover our reasonable costs. Details of how to contact us are set out below.
Tell us if we need to update your personal information or preferences
If you believe that any of the information that we hold about you is not current or is incomplete, please let us know and we will update your details. We take reasonable steps to ensure that we hold current information about you but it is very helpful if you can pass on to us any changes to your personal details or preferences. Details of how to contact us are set out below.
Whom can I contact for further information?
If you have any questions about how we handle your personal information or if you believe that we have handled your personal information inappropriately, you can contact us in any of the following ways:
The Privacy Officer
Sixt Rent a Car Australia
PO Box 707
Mascot NSW 1460
The Privacy Officer
Sixt Rent a Car Australia
Facsimile no: 02 9025 9000
The Privacy Officer
Sixt Rent a Car Australia
Telephone no: 02 9025 9025
If you are not satisfied with the way in which we handle your enquiry, you can call the office of the Australian Privacy Commissioner on 1300 363 992.
What you consent and agree to
When you provide us with your personal information you consent and agree to our use and disclosure of your personal information in accordance with this policy including, in particular to:
- our use and disclosure of that information in order to provide the service you have requested and for any other compatible purpose including the management, protection and development of our business;
- the disclosure of your personal information to entities located outside Australia. This may include disclosure to members of the Sixt Rent a Car Group, our service providers and program partner organisations. You should be aware that once your information is held outside of Australia it may not receive the same level of protection that the Privacy Act requires; and
- our use and disclosure of your personal information for direct marketing purposes. If you do not wish us to use or disclose your personal information for direct marketing purposes, you can indicate your preference on the rental document or by contacting us (as to which see above).
Changes to this Policy
Version 1 - Date of Publication May 2010.
© 2010 Sixt Rent a Car Australia